Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort and Spa known as 宁波柏悦酒店 (Níngbō Bǎiyuè Jiǔdiàn) is an international resort hotel located on the banks of Dongqian Lake (Tao Gong Island) about 25 minutes southeast drive from Ningbo city center.
Designed in the style of a traditional Chinese water village with open courtyards, sky wells, and ponds, Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort and Spa offers 236 contemporary guestrooms, including 17 suites and 10 free-standing villas ranging from 45 to 237 square meters.
For dining, the resort features two restaurants: the “Dining Room”, an all-day dining venue that serves both Chinese and Western cuisines and the “Seafood House”, which serves Ningbo cuisine, offering a wide variety of locally caught fish, shrimp, and crab.
For meetings, Park Hyatt Ningbo has an overall events space of 1312m2 (14122ft2), including a ballroom of 673m2 (7244ft2), pillar-less space suitable for conferences, that can also accommodate 350 people for banquets.
Concerning facilities, the hotel offers a heated indoor pool, a gym, reflexology facilities, steam rooms, saunas, whirlpool baths, and an 85-foot outdoor infinity pool with lake views.
Surroundings of Park Hyatt Hotel Ningbo include XiaoPutuo and Taogong Island scenic spots as well as Mt. Fuquan which is famous for its tea plantations. Once on top of the mountain, visitors can also enjoy a stunning bird view of the whole Dongqian lake area.
HISTORY AND KEY FACTS – 历史沿革及大事记
Hyatt was founded by Jay Pritzker in 1957 when he purchased the Hyatt House motel (named after its owner, Hyatt von Dehn) adjacent to the Los Angeles International Airport.
Over the following decade, Jay Pritzker (August 26, 1922 – January 23, 1999) and his brother Donald Pritzker, working together with other Pritzker family business interests, grew the company into a North American management and hotel ownership company, which became a public company in 1962.
In 1968, Hyatt International was formed and subsequently became a separate public company. On December 31, 2004, substantially all of the hospitality assets owned by Pritzker family business interests were consolidated under a single entity, now named Hyatt Hotels Corporation.
Nowadays the company manages, franchises, owns and develops Hyatt branded hotels, resorts and residential/vacation ownership properties around the world. As of September 30, 2011, the company’s worldwide portfolio consisted of 478 properties in 45 countries, including 27 Park Hyatt hotels.
Opened on January 10, 2012, Park Hyatt Ningbo is the first Park Hyatt-branded resort and third Park Hyatt in China after PH Beijing and PH Shanghai.
♦ For even more details about the company, check Hyatt Hotels and Resorts
鼠标悬停于表格左边栏目可查看中文翻译 – Hover your mouse over left column for CN
Click on the map to ZOOM – 点击地图放大
Park Hyatt Ningbo review
When we did a quick search on Internet about Park Hyatt, these were the first words we happened to see from Park Hyatt Company describing their business: “Elegance and luxury is what you get at Park Hyatt. As a distinguished guest, you will receive first-class service.”
But with almost 30 Park Hyatt Hotels around the world, including 3 in China (Beijing, Shanghai and Ningbo), can Park Hyatt offer the same high standard of service in every spot? Moreover, Park Hyatt Ningbo is the first Park Hyatt-branded RESORT in China. So what is the situation in terms of customers experience, a bit more than 3 months after the opening to public (10 January 2012)?
On a sunny April afternoon we passed through the hotel’s impressive arch and entered the place. We immediately loved the decor with pools, flowers and fountains and thought we should have a look around the place as soon as we had settled down in our room. After dropping our luggage at the hotel’s entrance, we drove on to the second parking lot and came back to the lobby with one of the eco-friendly 8 seats electric shuttle buses. Reception was fine and our belongings were brought up to our room.
We upgraded our Standard room to a Lake View room (extra RMB345) located on the 2nd floor. Just after entering, we first reached a spacious “open-style” and well equipped bathroom with a nice long bathtub where even a 1m85 tall person (6 foot) can easily soak in. The room was well equipped (see our chart above) and a small balcony provides a nice area to enjoy the view on the gardens and lake.
Like many other guests, we were in a hurry to contemplate the Dongqian Lake and its surroundings so we rapidly went down for a small tour around. And finally it is there right in front of us, impressive and peaceful with small waves lapping gently at the shore. This is the key element of this resort and it suddenly becomes obvious why Park Hyatt decided choosing this part of Ningbo to establish their first resort in China. Combined with the traditional Chinese architecture of the complex, Park Hyatt Ningbo is definitely a beautiful spot.
But Part Hyatt Resort Ningbo is also targeting on companies meetings/ events and developed a division called “Dongqian Lake International Conference Center” (钱湖国会中心/ Qiánhú Guóhuì Zhōngxīn). This ambitious business target shows this hotel on a different marketing angle and could alter the original image of a peaceful resort. Everyone knows that a conference center must deal with massive groups arrivals/departures and facilities must be designed for that purpose. What will a guest feel, if he is waken up at 6:00am by a group of colleagues talking loudly under its window instead of cute birds chirping? What will a guest feel, if he needs to take his breakfast in the tiny “intimate” Dining Room when a hundred guests come there at the same time, making it a challenge to find a seat or even food? Can Park Hyatt offer the same 5 star service to all its customers when dealing with so different type of businesses?
Right now let’s see below the pros and cons of our stay there.
WHAT WE LIKED:
- - Great design of the gardens with flower-lined pathways and green lawns where guests relaxed in deckchairs reading or enjoying the afternoon sun. Unique haven to unwind and recharge one’s batteries!
- - High standard bathrooms with large bathtubs, Toto washlets even in public areas bathrooms
- - Exclusive Nespresso coffee maker in rooms
- - Western restaurant’s design. “The Dining Room” is a cozy place for dinner with great foreign Chef (Hermann from Austria) who not only prepares delicious dishes but keeps trying to please one guest or another
- - Awesome swimming pool and super-sized shower rooms with 3 shower heads (rainforest, waterfall and handhold can be used at the same time – So convenient for Mom with kids)
- - Convenient electric shuttle buses connect different areas of the resort.
WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED:
- - Hotel directions. As Park Hyatt Ningbo is a complex of low buildings (3 stories) all interconnected with very long corridors and stairs/elevators sometimes a bit hidden, a small hotel map or clear direction signs would have been very convenient.
- - Information about hotel facilities and surroundings activities (other five star hotels in the city often offer an orientation brochure and even a jogging map)
- - Room service. We found several places where cleaning could be improved (including windows) and noticed many scratches on the floor and furniture which is a bit surprising for a brand new hotel (?)
- - Service in “The Dining Room”. Although we mentioned above the foreign Chef doing a stunning job, we had an overall lukewarm experience with some waiting staff who obviously needed more training.
Our CONCLUSION is not a final verdict as the hotel only opened for three months and we believe problems mentioned above can be considered as “Teething issues” that should be solved in a short delay. But our main impression is divided between the stunning location, the great hardware and issues around service. With the highest room rates in and around Ningbo, customers are expecting to get the famous high-class service advertised by the brand. (See 1st paragraph of this review)
That might be a tough challenge for the first branded-resort in China but with the Company’s long time experience, we are sure solutions will be found for Park Hyatt Ningbo not only to be a great hotel but one of the most exceptional places in this city. (Editorial Team – 2012 May)
|SERVICE (Front desk, Staff) / 服务（前台，客房服务）
|ROOMS (Decor, Equipment) / 客房/套房（装潢，设备）
|BATHROOMS (Equip., Amenities) / 浴室（设备，设施）
|CLEANLINESS (Lobby, Rooms) / 清洁（大堂，客房）
|LOCATION (Surroundings) / 地点（环境）
|PRICES (Value) / 价格（价值）
|GENERAL IMPRESSION / 总体印象 (我们的意见)
- - 花园的精妙设计。在花径环绕，绿草如茵中，客人在躺椅里放松阅读或享受午后的阳光——这儿绝对是放松和充电的天堂！
- - 高标准的卫浴设备，甚至公共区域的卫生间都配备了Toto卫洗丽全自动座便器。
- - 首家（宁波地区）在客房内配备了胶囊咖啡机。
- - 西餐厅的设计。悦厅是一个晚餐的好去处，来自奥地利的主厨赫尔曼不仅为客人准备了美味佳肴，而且不断尽力满足客人的不同需求。
- - 很棒的游泳池。更衣室有超大的淋浴房，三个淋浴喷头（热带雨林，瀑布和手持）可同时使用-对带孩子的妈妈来说太方便了！
- - 酒店内部有方便的电瓶车交通。
- - 酒店的导引系统。宁波柏悦酒店是一座三层高的中式建筑，各区域间由长长的走廊连接。有些楼梯和电梯的位置很不显眼，，如果有一张酒店的小地图或墙面的方向标志能更醒目，对客人会方便许多。
- - 关于酒店的服务设施和周边活动的信息（宁波其他的五星酒店通常会提供一本详尽的酒店服务和设施介绍手册，甚至一张慢跑地图）
- - 客房服务。我们发现了好几处地方的清洁需要改善（包括窗户）。作为一家全新的酒店，我们有点惊讶地发现了地板和家具上的许多划痕。
- - 西餐厅（悦厅）的服务。虽然我们在上面提到过外国厨师令人称道的表现，但服务员给我们留下了态度冷淡的整体印象，他们中的一些显然需要更多的培训。
对柏悦在中国的这第一家酒店来说，他们可能面临着一个严峻的考验，但凭着柏悦长期丰富的经验，我们相信他们一定能找到解决方案，使宁波柏悦酒店不仅成为一家一流的酒店，而且成为这个城市一道最特殊的靓丽风景！（编辑团队 – 2012年5月）